Until You Pray

After the invitation to prayer and the assurance that He will answer, God added an addendum to the policy He gave Jeremiah: “Call to Me, and I will answer you” (Jeremiah 33:3a). What's the answer going to be like, God?

First all, “ . . . I will tell you great things you have not known” (v.33b). I will inspire you with greater understanding and knowledge than you could achieve on your own.

Let's think about Jeremiah here for a minute. God instructed His prophet to remain unmarried as a sign of the harsh judgment that God was bringing to correct Israel in their rebellion. Jeremiah’s audience was heavily involved in idol worship. They were into deception and debauchery. God's people were fully engaged in this blatant rejection of God. This is as clear as it gets: If something is going on in your life today and you're wondering about God’s character, "If God really is X, then why is Y happening?" The answer to that dilemma is prayer. God says, “Call to Me, (in that moment) and I will tell you great things you don't know.” 

It doesn't matter if you're going through heartbreaks in ministry or family or in your career or whatever. These crises are prime times to go to God and say, "I'm not seeing it, Lord. I'm not feeling it. Why would You allow us to go through this?"  Now the answer God provides is not necessarily coming directly from Scripture. But insight to help you understand what's happening and why it’s happening will come through prayer! And you won’t know this until you pray!

Prayer: Almighty God, You know the things I’m afraid to bring up to You because they seem to cast doubt on Your goodness or sovereignty. Remind me that I don’t have to “cover” for You. Show me that I can trust You with things that look impossible to understand or to endure. Teach me that You will always be with me, even when I don’t understand. In Jesus’ name, Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Genesis 13-14: Abram and Lot

Genesis 17: Abram is Named Abraham (NLT)

Genesis 10: The Descendants of Japheth, Ham, and Shem